Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Lorax- Dr. Suess


I am the Lorax! I speak for the trees,
Which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please;
But I also speak for the brown Barbaloots,
Who frolicked and played in their Barbaloot suits,
Happily eating Truffula fruits.
Now, since you've chopped the trees to the ground
There's not enough Truffula fruit to go 'round!
And my poor Barbaloots are all feeling the crummies
Because they have gas, and no food, in their tummies.
_________________________________________________________________________

My family loves traditions. In fact, we will make a tradition out of almost anything as long as it produces laughter and a good time. I turned 22 today, and naturally my sister has purchased once again a great Dr. Seuss book in which she feels sums up apart of my life at the current place i am in. Let me tell you a bit about the previous selections before we dive into this current seasons endeavor.

Last year my sister had given me the Dr. Seuss title "Oh, the places you'll go" it came at a time when i had just returned from Kenya, dropped out of UIC and was now leaving within days to Arkansas to work at a camp i had never attended. I was very excited YES. But i was also at a very vulnerable stage in my life where i had no control at all. I had been away from home for long enough where i was out of my friends lives for the period, i had changed so dramatically through my trip yet the ones who knew me were not around and i was blazing a trail for a new road, and new direction from the past several years but was unsure of the outcome. The response according to Dr. Seuss for a time like this was of course:

"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

NO!
That's not for you!


Somehow you'll escape
all that waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

With banner flip-flapping,
once more you'll ride high!
Ready for anything under the sky.
Ready because you're that kind of a guy!

Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done!


It's funny how even words in a children's book can handle soo much meaning.

This year marks a very interesting point in the journey. I will be leaving for Kenya, South Africa and Swaziland tomorrow. I am bursting with excitement and ready for whatever God has in store this trip.

The Lorax at this time, is a symbolism of where i have come and where i desire to be. In this story the Lorax plays a similar role as God does in our lives. He is continually knocking at the door, warning us of wrongs, continually pleading for us to not hurt ourselves in this life just as the Lorax warns that the making of thneeds will not produce good. Yet continually we refuse to learn that lesson until its nearly too late. And at the same time paralleling this story is one of scripture where the Lorax has found the one thing that is needed for growth, and happiness, " the truffula trees".
Luke 10:42
.... only one thing is needed......

I am being molded.

I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees.
I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.

Catch! calls the Once-ler.
He lets something fall.
It's a Truffula Seed.
It's the last one of all!
You're in charge of the last of the Truffula Seeds.
And Truffula Trees are what everyone needs.
Plant a new Truffula. Treat it with care.
Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air.
Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.
Then the Lorax
and all of his friends
may come back."

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."

4 comments:

  1. Mark,
    What a great post!!! I love reading about your thoughts and discoveries, isn't it so freeing to write it all down and let people read it? I just started my blog too.... I hope you can follow it. http://marymccoy.theworldrace.org/

    I love you!!!! Be safe and have fun, drink a Stoney for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep writing! Keep writing! Thankful for you bro! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the places youll go is one of my all time favorite stories of all time!
    -palag

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is now working... drop a comment on something you resonate with. or just anything...