Thursday, January 28, 2010

Switchfoot- This is your life

Yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead
Yesterday is a promise that you've broken
Don't close your eyes, don't close your eyes
This is your life and today is all you've got now
Yeah, and today is all you'll ever have
Don't close your eyes

2. What does running towards Christ and pursuing our God look like?

Let me state before you fully dive into this; THERE IS NO PERFECT ANSWER, especially to this question. The only thing ever and forever that remains perfect is Christ himself. So please don't get on my case for a difference in how you approach your pursuit of our savior. Who am i anyway to tell you what to do. right? With that covered, i wanna tell you a quick story; an analogy of passion,persistence and willingness to commit.

This is your life, are you who you wanna be?

To briefly introduce the subject: Here i am, sitting at ISBI (a small, local, semi shady blood bank in Chicago). Here in an effort to support the poor college life dream, while committing to a relatively simple form of charitable giving. This being said, after 1 1/2 hours i am now missing 825 ml of plasma and have gained $25 dollars packed in my wallet. I am beginning the journey home, seeking the desired grilled cheese and tomato soup that i have so passionately been dreaming about, stuck in a room full of bulgarian nurses with the overwhelming smell of rubbing alcohol. I am starving. All i have eaten is a chocolate brownie roughly 7 hours ago.. (thank you Dunkin Donuts lady for allowing us to dumpster dive).

I stepped out into the cold winter night of Chicago. It is roughly 1 degree outside. JOY!. I took about 50 steps onto kimball avenue, realizing my commitment to munching on this perfect meal was close and the limitations of my body being frozen within a few minutes was imminent, i began a dead sprint towards home. My mind had little time to think about this decision, it was nearly instant. I had set my mind and i was now running and pursuing it with everything i had. Do you see what i am alluding too?

Although my story is weird and goofy, i feel it represents exactly what pursuing our God looks like on the outside. A dead sprint. A realization that there is nothing else that matters in life than finding the path that God has for us. Reckless abandonment. "Why try to set our lives up so everything will be fine even if God doesn't come through. But true faith means holding nothing back. It means putting every hope in God's fidelity to His Promise" (Francis Chan).

This is the goal i have set for myself. I hope to stay strong to the faith.

This is your life, are you who you want to be
This is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be
When the world was younger and you had everything to lose
This is your life, Don't close your eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is now working... drop a comment on something you resonate with. or just anything...